Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Integrating Technology in the Classroom

Most of us are already familiar with iPod's since it has become the biggest trend in MP3 players thus far.  However, the trend has taken an unexpected turn and now what used to be a burden to teachers is a useful and educational tool in the classroom.  That's right, teachers are ENCOURAGING the use of iPod's during the school day.  
The education system sees many benefits in using iPod Touch's in the classroom, especially within special education settings.  The Touch can function as an efficient educational tool inside and outside of the classroom.  Not only is it less expensive for schools to purchase iPod Touch's over other netbooks, but with free WiFi students and teachers can explore depths of education beyond the classroom walls by having more opportunities to use the web.  Its portability and low maintenance are yet another reason the iPod Touch is a great addition to the classroom, however the main reason I believe the integration of iPod's is beneficial is in the field of special education. 
 Assistive Technology is a huge "buzz word" in the world of disabilities today, and the iPod Touch is a perfect example of such technology.  While all students can gain a better education by using the Touch to solve math problems, read ebooks, and learn foreign languages, I feel that some students in special education can truly gain the most from using this technology.  
The iPod Touch can offer students with social disabilities, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder, with a means of communication.  Many students on the spectrum are hindered by their inability to verbally communicate with others causing them to become frustrated by their lack-of-control over their own lives.  Those of you who have worked with students on the spectrum know that they are some of the brightest individuals out there, however without proper means of communication they can never live up to their full potential.    Using inexpensive and sometimes free apps found on the iPod Touch such as one called Proloquo2Go, students with ASD are able to touch icons that voice questions or comments so that they can communicate with others.  Other apps have built in scheduled activities so that students can simply touch a button to communicate about what they wish to do.  
The iPod Touch is a new, easy, and inexpensive alternative to the once popular text-to-speech machines that are more than five times the size and twenty times the cost of the Touch!  I truly believe that integrating iPod Touch's into the classroom will provide students with learning disabilities a more individualized education so that they can continue to grow as children in and outside of the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. It was interesting to read your post on technology, I had several thoughts as I did. First, in the high school that I teach in, personal technological devices are pretty much banned (unless teachers use them for instruction, as I use cell phones in my Spanish class (I discussed this in my comment to Shift happens.) Students' cell phones and music devices are to be off and out of sight from the minute the first bell rings until dismissal. When teachers see them, we are supposed to confiscate them and turn them in to the office for parents to pick up. The reasoning for this is that students are distracted from their learning by texting or that students will use their cell phones to cheat, but the way I see it is if students can be distracted by texting, they can just as easily be distracted by passing notes, if they aren't engaged and don't want to pay attention in class, they aren't going to. Likewise for cheating, if students want to cheat, it's likely that they'll find a way. So I look forward (and push for it at staff and department meetings) to the elimination of this ban and the encouragement to use the technology that students have and love to enrich their learning experience and engage their interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your post on technology in the classroom was very interesting. I had never really considered using the different apps and such for educational purposes. The problem I see with this is that I believe it would just distract more students from class. Personally, I always tried to pay attention in class. Whether I was able to or not varied but for the most part, I was able to pay attention. On the other hand, if I had had something like an ipod touch that was allowed in class, I don’t think that I would have paid attention. Without an ipod, I didn’t really have anything else to do thus I paid attention. With an ipod, I would have had something else to do and thus would probably not have paid as close attention to the class lesson.

    I can see though how when used properly it can make a huge difference in the classroom. I had never heard of Proloquo2Go before, but I looked into it and I agree that it could greatly help students who have trouble communicating. In my Te 250 class last semester we talked a lot about students with disabilities and integrating them into the general classroom. I believe that with this app, as well as others, students who have trouble communicating, or other disabilities, would be better able take part in the general classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with this. When I was in high school, technological devices were banned. No cell phones or ipods. Looking back at it now, it didn't really matter that they were banned. I knew a lot of people who would still be on their phones texting or playing games on their ipod. Since students were using them anyways, why not have them use it for something educational and productive. It is a great idea to use the technology we have in the classroom for educational uses. Like you said, it would help be more cost efficient for one. Although I have not worked much with special needs students, I can understand and agree that these devices would be very beneficial for them in their learning. When it comes down to it, students are going to use their phones and ipods whether they are banned or not. So I agree that using them towards education purposes is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this post extremely interesting. I had also recently read an article online about the use of IPods in special education, and completely agree that using the IPod in school could be wildly successful. With that being said, I think the use of IPods should be limited to special education students only. I think it's unrealistic for a school to be able to provide an IPod touch for every student in a school or to expect every student in the school to purchase one themselves. Even if the school were to own a set of IPods that could be used by a classroom at a time, I don't think they would be as affective when being used on occasion by the students. Although, I do strongly support the idea of bringing new technology into the classroom such as the IPod, I also strongly disagree with the use of cellphones in the classroom. At my school we had the same policy that Katherine had mentioned, and although students did continue to sneak around a use their cellphone, I think there was a large amount of students that would just keep them in their lockers because they didn't want to risk getting them taken away. I understand that if they're going to cheat they're going to cheat and if they don't want to pay attention they won't pay attention. But, I don't think the solution to that would be giving the students what they want and just give them easy access to cheat and a fun way to ignore they're teacher. All in all, I think if educators go about using the Ipods in correct way (not abusing them in the classroom, or allowing students to use them for other things during class time), I think they could be a really great aid for learning. I'm really interested to see if we'll start seeing more Ipods in classrooms and schools.

    ReplyDelete