Monday, September 26, 2011

Nature's Newest Endangered Species

The other day, I heard a rumor that the Barnes and Noble across the street from Michigan State University’s campus is closing down at the end of the year.(Barnes & Noble closing East Lansing store) I was shocked and upset. I had to do some research to see if this was the truth and unfortunately, it is. For many students and residents around the community, this is a place to escape. Barnes and Noble offers a wide variety of literary works. They have everything from books to magazines to music. Anyone can go here and find something that they are interested in.

After moving into the dorm and not really knowing anyone or where anything on campus was, I went to Barnes and Noble to read. It was a safe haven for me. I felt comforted when I was there. I can spend hours in the store. Many students feel the same way. They go there to read, study or just sit down and relax with a good book.

So many bookstores are closing down due to the increased popularity of buying books online and e-books. The same situation happened at the beginning of this month in Ann Arbor.(The death and life of a great American bookstore) The popular bookstore Borders declared bankruptcy and closed down after 40 years of being in operation. It is such a shame that bookstores are closing down. The future generations are never going to be able to experience the atmosphere.

2 comments:

  1. I too was extremely upset when I heard Barnes & Noble was closing down. I absolutely love bookstores and relaxing in them. They are the perfect place to read or study, and I especially enjoy taking the kids I babysit to them because they love to look around and read. They also love the library, but something about being in a store and the lay out of bookstores is something they especially enjoy.

    The fact that people are buying books online or using e-books now makes total sense as far as paper consumption and ease of access, but I will never enjoy reading on a screen as much as I do a hard copy of a book and the satisfaction of turning a page. I think that it is important to make sure our kids continue to see the joy in reading and turning pages. The action and anticipation it can create can really enhance the story.

    As far as the bookstores going out of business, I guess we will have to move on to coffee shops for the quite, alluring atmosphere; but it will never be the same. I suppose we will just have to enjoy the last of it while it is still there and maybe get some good deals on closeout sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Borders filed for bankruptcy and began closing one-third of their 659 stores and now its Barnes&Noble's turn. With one of its largest competitors out of the way, one would think Barnes&Noble would thrive. Barnes&Noble is the largest book company in the United States and they are now closing down their branches. Sales were down 25% last year. (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2057760,00.html)

    While all this is happening all I can think is "Out of sight, out of mind." If the two largest book companies cannot make it, how can smaller book stores survive the economy and changes in the way people choose to read their books? Soon will there not be any book stores left?

    In a time where books are competing with TV shows, WII, and video games this is a dangerous thing to happen. These book stores are going to be replaced with these toy stores stocked with game boys, clothing stores, restaurants, and nothing educational. Our ability to read plays a crucial role in our success in school. Our school systems are already lacking in the reading department and our reading scores on standardized tests are already down, my question is how will the lack of book stores affect readers now and in the future?

    ReplyDelete