Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thank you, Harry Potter

When I was in elementary school I hated reading. I was in the slower reading group and always saw my friends who were a grade level or two ahead of me while I was still struggling to get through my own grade level. By fourth grade, I remember my mom telling me that I should read this book called Harry Potter. She said it was a part of a series and that they were great books. I really wanted nothing to do with them. I was taking an exploration technology class in fourth grade when of course, Harry Potter was a required reading for that station I was at. So I started reading the book and was hooked. I couldn't put it down. For Christmas that year I got the second book and became addicted to reading. Of course I went on to finish the series by my senior year of high school, but the books couldn't keep up with how fast I (and many others) were reading them. Therefore I had to find other books to read while I waited for the next book to come out.

Although once I reached high school and even now college, I barely read for fun anymore, if at all. However, I will every once and a while get that itch to read like I did when I was younger. I really do attribute a lot of it to Harry Potter. Not only were those books entertaining, but they made me enjoy reading. My next challenge is to keep a fire for reading as an adult and to find time every now and then to actually sit down and read an entire book.

1 comment:

  1. The Harry Potter series was a huge part of my childhood for me as well. However, it was a lot harder for me to get into the first book. I only read up to the third chapter and quit because I thought it was boring. However, I believe that was because at the time I didn't know anyone else reading them. Once my dad finished the first book he couldn't stop talking about it. That's when I decided to give it another try and I loved it. From that point on, I grew up with Harry Potter. I started to get excited for the new books to come out and I met so many different friends by having that in common. I think having the Harry Potter series was important for our generation to grow up because it allowed us to make lifelong friends with people who loved the books as well since the series went on for years, including the movies.

    ReplyDelete