Thursday, September 29, 2011

What Are Unique Types of Text for Children?

As I have worked with K-12 children throughout my experience at MSU's College of Education program in preparation to become a middle school science teacher, I often reflect on my public school experience for "tips." As I have recently become involved in the MSU Literacy Corps in association with Read to Succeed, I've asked myself, "what types of text did I enjoy reading and writing as a child?"  and "how can I get my students interested in reading and writing?"


I think that unique types of text need to be presented to students. By this I mean pieces that keep their attention and expand their knowledge of text beyond a typical chapter book. What types of reading and writing do you want your students and/or children participating in, in school? Do you see them using electronic reading devices like Nooks or Kindles in the classroom? Do skills like reading the newspaper or New York Times online need to be taught in school? Is there enough poetry and songwriting in language arts classes today? 

Within Read to Succeed this 2011-2012 school year, I will be working with a student at a fourth grade level or younger who is struggling with reading and writing. I hope to practice different varieties of text with him or her, to keep learning to read interesting. Do you know of any interesting types of texts to introduce to children? 

1 comment:

  1. While I was reading Chapter 8 in "The Joy of Children's Literature" I particularly liked the small section about how to incorporate drama and plays into the Language Arts curriculum. In my opinion, this goes along really well with your question about what types of reading or writing kids should be exposed to in the classroom. I think kids would really enjoy the different tasks that there are in order to complete a play. I distinctly remember in my 2nd grade classroom being put into different groups and acting out different stories. I even remember that my group was in charge of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. We used costumes and memorized a script. I remember that everyone in our class was excited to practice and watch what the other groups had come up with. If you are looking for a unique way to teach literature this is it. Students get to use reading and writing strategies, along with their creative minds. Chapter 8 even suggests that students can write their own plays. When a student comes up with something entirely their own they feel responsible for it, and are motivated to do the best they can. Students who don't enjoy reading may respond really well to the acting portion of the assignments. Others who enjoy writing could come up with some really interesting scripts and stories. Kids who have trouble speaking in front of an audience can use drama as a challenge, or a chance to work behind the scenes as directors. Drama and plays can help students use each others strengths, it is an exciting (and often overlooked in Elementary Schools) strategy for learning literature.

    ReplyDelete