Monday, September 26, 2011

Your Book, My View

No two people read a book the same way. As I was reading Voices in the Park for our assignment, I read it a second and third time, reading it different each time. I noticed things in the pictures that I missed the first time I read it. As we have been discussing in class, no two people read a book the same excat way. To go along with this, even the same person never reads the same story the same way. We can relate to the characters in different ways because of our experiences. As the days go by, we gain more and more experiences and we realize things we may not have before; therefore, when we read a book for a second or third time, we can relate to the story in ways we did not before.
I think this is a key element to our class and for people to remember, especially future teachers. Students can read a book one day and the next day, they will read it differently. One student may notice something another student did not, each one reading it in a different way.
I'm working with a second grade child for my TE 301 class for our field placement. We just met today and we read two picture books. As we were going through these books, I was asking questions about what she thought about a picture or about the story in general. Again, I realized that we read these books in different ways. She saw pictures differently than I did and since I'm older than her, I have had expereinces that allow me to read the story differently.
As we learn more throughout our class, I feel as if it is important to keep in mind that no two people read a story the excat same way.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reply to your book my view! I would have to say you literally took the words rite out of my mouth Laura. I felt the exact same way after I read the book a total of four times. Every single time I read the book I found something totally different that was intriguing to me. I feel like each time it helped me to gain a better understanding of the book as well as the message the author was trying to get across.

    I also agree that we as teachers have to remember that our students are going to read and interpret things quite different than we as teachers will and also take into consideration that we don’t know what thoughts the children will have in their minds while reading the book that can impact the way they interpret the text as well. All in all I really enjoyed your blog post because it said exactly hat I felt after reading the story and also gave key points for teachers to remember or think about when assigning our students readings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really interesting and totally valid thought, but I have a slightly different take on it. While I definitely agree that each time I read "Voices" (probably 3, 4 times total) I picked up on more and more in both the text and the pictures. But what made me view the book even more differently was comparing it to a play I saw a few years ago for my Role Response (I was intertextual). It was amazing to me how much perspective I gained about the text when I compared it to another work--I felt like I had a whole new (and better!) understanding of it. To apply this to a classroom context, I think it's important to encourage our future students to do this type of thinking about the books that they read. The more we, as teachers, can encourage critical thinking and analytical skills at an early age, the more developed readers our students will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that books are open to interpretation. In my highschool english course, we spent a lot of time trying to dissect what the author "really meant" and it drove me crazy. Unless it was an obvious reference to something that was happening at the time, or specifically described by the author, how can we determine some hidden meaning in the writing? We would be asked to determine the real meaning behind the use of biblical references, scenes with water, or even why the author used three words in a row starting with "s".
    We may not know the point the author was trying to get across, or what they meant. But that is the beauty of books. We are free to interpret them the way that we please and to add in our own details and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading Voices in the Park proved to me that no two people get the same thing out of a book. I had no idea you could get so many different perspectives out of a simple children’s book. I was doing the critical response for Voices in the Park so I was reading with the mindset to look for themes and stereotypes expressed in the book. The person who did textual response read with a different mindset and picked up on the minute details hidden in pictures and styles of text. When we had our discussion groups, I learned a lot from hearing other people’s take on the story. As I read the story again after hearing their perspectives, I was amazed on all that I had missed out on just because I had been reading with a different mindset.

    ReplyDelete