Monday, December 12, 2011

academic vs. recreational reading

I was working with my child study student for a different class the other day, and through assessments and talking with her I've found that she loves reading recreationally, but absolutely despises it for anything academic. Coming from a personal stand point, reading in general is something that isn't my cup of tea, but I know at one point I was just like her and enjoyed reading for pleasure. I have noticed that only a few of my close friends actually still enjoy reading and I wonder how and when this shift took place? How are we suppose to make sure the students we are teaching can get enjoyment out of reading as a whole, whether it be academic or recreational? As we have discussed in class, there are definite differences in whether one is reading for content or enjoyment. Are we suppose to address reading from both of these standpoints as teachers or are we just suppose to promote reading as a whole?

No comments:

Post a Comment