Friday, December 2, 2011

"Storyselling" Clifford

After reading Daniel Hade’s article, “Storyselling: Are Publishers Changing the Way Children Read?”, I noticed how true “storyselling” is. The article gave examples of many books that underwent “storyselling”, but Clifford stuck out to me the most. This is because a few years ago my younger sister was obsessed with Clifford. She had many of the books, television episodes, and movies. However, along with these she had a Clifford bed set with a comforter, sheets, and pillows. She had many Clifford stuffed animals, puzzles, and she even had a backpack. I’m sure there were many more Clifford products she had but there are way too many to count!


I think the idea that Clifford became a brand rather than a piece of literature is what the entire article is trying to get at. Whether some people approve of this or not, I actually think this “storyselling” can get kids, teens, and adults more interested in reading. I think if a child gets too attached to one “brand”, like my little sister, it may not necessarily be the best thing because eventually they will outgrow their Clifford phase and then have a bunch of Clifford products laying around. However, she was reading and if all the other products enticed her to read more, then that is good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment