Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chains

I had the misconception that historical fiction novels were all told from a 3rd person perspective, we very boring and usually were from the perspective of the victor or someone who benefited from that event.

When I read Chains for another TE class, I was pleasantly surprised. It was unique, pure and invigorating to read. The narrator was a young girl and talked about very famous events surrounding the revolutionary war.

Okay, so this is like any other book set in that time period right? That's what I thought but I was wrong. The book by Laurie Halse Anderson does so much more. It is told from a slaves perspective and not only that, but from the Loyalists perspective too.

By showing other sides of a story you get a much more holistic view of the event and in turn learn so much more. This is something to keep in mind when you are using literature to supplement a lesson or if you are just reading for pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post! Having read this book I thought the same thing when reading it. A lot of times I feel that books focus on one side of a problem. It is also usually the main area of focus that society sees. Although we recognize now that slavery is bad having hindsight, it is interesting to try and understand why people thought slavery was ok back then!

    ReplyDelete