Sunday, December 4, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hilarious

Today I went to Barnes and Noble to pick up a book to write about for my book review. I ended up picking up “Diary of a Wimpy Kid,” because I saw it was a New York Times Bestseller. I really had no background information on it, but thought it might be a good book from is its rather large display at the store. I began reading it tonight, and I could hardly put it down, because I was laughing to myself so much. The book is a collection of “journal entries” from a middle school boy about his life and school. I am really excited to continue reading it later this week. Have you read the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” series? If so, did you like it?

I decided to do a little research on the author after I began reading. I came across an interview with the author, Jeff Kinney, on the Scholastic website. He claims that he originally wrote the book for adults, and was very surprised when it because so popular among 10-12 year old children. I think that even though this is popular among children, that adults can still get a kick out of the jokes and middle school references throughout the book. The book is a combination of some of his middle school memories and other events he has witnessed, although none of the characters are based on real people. What I really like about this book are the comic illustrations that accompany the text. Also, I love how real most of the events are in the book, things that would definitely happen in middle school, when everyone is going through their “awkward stage.”

This book is a quick read, so I definitely recommend reading it for some humor if you get a chance. For more of the interview go to this website: http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3751433

No comments:

Post a Comment