Monday, October 17, 2011

American Girl: Much More than Historical Fiction

My sister and I grew up on American Girl. The books, the dolls, spending hours and hours on their website, my afternoons were FILLED with imaginative play and dress up with my American Girl Doll, Samantha.

But, looking back, American Girl was a much larger part of my development than just play. I had a set of different books from other genres that were American Girl products that fostered my imagination and creativity and helped me to learn about myself and my growth and development.

Not only that but I LOVE American Girl Books because just about every race is represented. Not just with the dolls, even though I believe there is a disproportionate amount of Caucasian characters, but also within the book’s illustrations. I think it promotes a culture of “American Girls” that is not defined by race. Every girl is an American Girl, and I appreciate that notion. Books like “The Care and Keeping of You” and the Amelia series featured girls of all shapes, sizes and colors.

I may just be sentimental, and I am certainly open to the opinions of others. Is anyone else familiar with the American Girl Series or the company?

4 comments:

  1. I also had the Samantha Doll. I was so in love with The American Girl Series. It is one of the reasons that me and my best friend from elementary school became friends. We both had the books and dolls. I also respect how it includes all the races, one of few that do. It is one of the major things I remember from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with multiple American Girl dolls and all their accessories. I think the American Girl brand has came a long way because when I was a child there were not as many different races of dolls available. Now looking through the catalog there is a doll available in every ethnicity you can think of. I also think the look alike dolls are great for young girls because they can create a doll that looks just like them. There have been arguments about certain dolls not pertaining to all children of all races, but with the look alike dolls every child can have a doll that caters to them. The only concern I have with the American Girl brand is that young girls end up believing that these doll characters are real people. Overall I think this brand is great for young girls and shows acceptance of all races, shapes, and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that I loved about the American Girl Company was the "Look-A-Like" dolls that goes along with your theme that every girl is an American Girl regardless of appearance/background.

    You could pick hair style and color, skin, and eye color to make yourself or personalize a doll. Check out this the website for it if you're interested: http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/myag.jsp. I hope that they've taken it even further in the last ten years since I've last been interested in it!

    Although Todd isn't a huge fan of the novels, the fact that it even slightly gets young girls interested in history is good enough for me! Just remind them it is fiction and may not be entirely true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up absolutely loving American Girl dolls! When I got my first one, Kit Kittredge, for Christmas I was so excited to have a great doll along with an awesome story about her. I definitely agree that American Girl doll series are great ways for young girls to get a glimpse into different eras in history. Especially when it comes from a perspective of a young girl. Many different cultures and races are represented and I think this definitely shows that everyone is an American Girl. The stories give young readers a chance to read a story about a girl their age growing up in a different time. They can image themselves as the American Girl and think about what they would have done if they had live in those eras. American Girl books are a great way to get young girls reading because it will motivate them to read if they have a story about their own doll. I think that American Girl stories definitely get young girls interested in history and into reading different genres.

    ReplyDelete