Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Goosebumps!

Halloween is approaching really fast. My roommates and I went through all of our old Halloween movies and had a marathon. Well, along this long list of cheesy movies with bad acting and poor special effects, I came across Goosebumps! Then I went through and found all my old Goosebumps books. I reminisced being scared to death of The Haunted Mask and One Day at Horrorland but at the same time loving the stories. Looking back, I realize how ridiculous these stories were. Then I thought about the chapter we read in the Family of Readers about scary stories and how they scare children but teach them how to deal with their fear. This is what Goosebumps did for me.
It was cool to look back at these childhood favorites and remember all the memories I have of reading these books under my sheets at night with a flashlight. Not even because it was past my bedtime but because my brother told me that it was the best way to read scary stories. Then I realized he just said that so I would go to bed scared. I can't wait to re-watch the movies and see what I remembered the most.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, growing up I also read the Goosebumps books. At the time, they were very scary for me to read and would often give me nightmares. I would end up sleeping on the floor in my parents bedroom. Looking back and remembering these stories I can still understand why they scared me. Most of the time the stories were unrealistic but at the time I had a wild imagination and believed anything was possible. In a Family of Readers they said that it is ok for a child to be scared and experience that emotion. I agree with this because fear is a natural emotion and it expands a child's mind. It opens them up to the real world where fear is evident along with the other emotions that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up I LOVED Goosebumps! I literally used to have the entire series, until my mom donated them to a neighbor that is a first year teacher. Because of the ease of reading these books, they were one of the first books that I read as a child. I really believe that the Goosebumps books are what set the stage for me loving scary movies and murder mystery books today. I believe that what children read when they're young will definitely impact what they enjoy reading when they get older. That's why it's so important to give children a wide range of literature to read while they are young so that they are able to find that certain genre they enjoy, in the same way I found out I love scary books/movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with the last post stating that it's important to read all different kinds of literature because it will impact what they like when they get older. When I was younger I loved reading and I did read a wide range of genres but I stayed away from horror. I read a couple of Goosebumps books when I was younger but for the most part I didn't read scary books because I didn't enjoy reading them. Here I am a junior in college and I still really dislike scary books. I don't like haunted houses, and I practically have to be dragged into the theater if my friends want to see a scary movie. In one of my other classes we are reading "Dracula" and I really dislike it. I don't find it scary but from an early age I just didn't get a lot of experience reading scary books that promoted fear so now, reading those types of books is not at all an enjoyable experience. When I have a classroom of my own I will definitely promote all types of genres including books that may be a little scary to some children. I'd much rather have kids get introduced to scary books then never have experienced them at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Goosebumps movies when I was a child. I have lots of distinct memories of watching them with my mom over and over again. Watching these movies with a family member helped me to realize that they are simply movies, they are not real. I think for some children they just like the thrill of watching a movie that scares them, but for some children the scary movies or books serve a purpose. Whether they are reading/watching for the thrill or for the purpose of overcoming fears, I think scary movies and books can be beneficial for young children.

    ReplyDelete