Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Can historical fiction be too confusing for children?

I understand why historical fiction is important for children to read. It allows them to learn about an important historical event in a more fun way. However, I'm starting to wonder if maybe children get too confused on what part of the book is fiction and what part is true.

It made me start thinking of historical fiction books or movies that I had when I was younger. The first one that comes to mind is Pocahontas. It was one of my favorite Disney movies and I knew that the animals and trees couldn't really talk, but I thought the interaction with the characters was all true for the longest time. I was shocked to learn that Pocahontas was actually only 10 years old when she met John Smith and it wasn't the love story like the movie portrayed it. Now that I'm older I can separate what is true and what isn't with historical fiction, but as a child it was very confusing.

Another example is the American Girl doll books. They were set in real historical times, but the story was made up. I was older when I read these books than watching Pocahontas, but it was still extremely confusing to distinguish fact from fiction. There would be times while I was reading where I caught myself believing these characters existed.

I know historical fiction is important for children to read, but I feel like there should be some way where it would be easier for them to distinguish the differences from reality. I know from my experience it was very difficult for me and led me to struggle in social studies growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment