Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Banning Books

Since we are talking about realistic fiction this week I thought it would be interesting to do some research about books containing controversial topics. A major benefit of good realistic fiction is that it reflects and confirms the everyday situations of our lives. Life is full of ups and downs therefore realistic fiction is too. I believe the controversial realistic fiction books can be the most beneficial to readers as they might help readers in difficult situations to not feel as alone in the world. Controversial topics such as death, divorce, moral choices, abuse, sexuality, and poverty are often not talked about in real life conversations with children. Literature might be some children's only way to learn about how to deal with tough situations. If these controversial books are banned how are children to learn about how to deal in real life controversial situations?

After searching around online for information about banned books I came across several websites and articles that talked about Judy Blume as a controversial realistic fiction author. I can remember reading her book Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret when I was in middle school. I believe it was about a young girl concerned about menstruation and religion. On her website Judy talks about the censorship of her books, and I found what she had to say very true and interesting.

"I felt only that I had to write the most honest books I could. It never occurred to me, at the time, that what I was writing was controversial. Much of it grew out of my own feelings and concerns when I was young." -http://www.judyblume.com/censorship.php

To me, the above quote is what realistic fiction is all about... it should be realistic enough to help readers with all aspects of real life. Below is a letter Judy posted on her site that she received from a young reader:

Dear Judy,
I don't know where I stand in the world. I don't know who I am.
That's why I read, to find myself.
Elizabeth, age 13


I believe this is true for a lot of tween and teen age children, they need somewhere to turn to as a framework for the development of a sense of self and good realistic fiction is a great option in my opinion, no matter how controversial a topic.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post because the books that are banned the most are also some of the most famous books in the word. Judy Blume said, "I felt only that I had to write the most honest books I could,” I don’t understand how a book like that could be banned because it was written on real life. Why would someone want to ban a book that is about real problems that young women are having? Many other books that were banned are about things like racism. If we did not read about racism in the early 20th century then the next generation would not learn about it and people could regress and we could become a racist country again.

    ReplyDelete