Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Banned Books?!

In the Joy of Children’s Literature textbook by Denise Johnson, one of the chapters discusses the Top 15 Banned/Challenged Books. I found this list extremely interesting because 9 of those books I was actually required to read in school or a teacher read the book aloud to the class! A few of these books were Of Mice and Men, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Giver, and Harry Potter.


I remember some of my teachers saying that a few of these books were controversial, and I know that in high school one of my classmates was not allowed to read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn because her mom did not want her too, but I never knew there were so many issues nation and worldwide about these books.


After thinking about it, I feel like maybe these books are on the Top Banned/Challenged Books list because they are required in many schools. When you think about it, someone could essentially find something controversial in almost any book! Maybe the fact that more children are required to read these books though means that parents become more involved and this leads to the banning of many of these books. Just an idea!

3 comments:

  1. That makes so much sense! I didn't think about it in that way but as far as percentage wise, I bet you are right when you say the reason is because so many of them are required that automatically that opens up the number of readers to a lot more than books that just get put into libraries. I also think that a lot of teachers may want to teach the banned/challenged books because it adds another element to class discussion. Most of the books on the list are fantastic literature and because they are accurate of the times and include the debatable details, they are great books for classes. The challenged aspects of them are exactly what kids should be talking about and discussing in their classes as they grow into more analytical students and well rounded citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that someone could find something "wrong" with ANY book. Everyone has different morals, ethics and views on what should/shouldn't be taught/read. Thus, in every single book I am sure someone could find a reason of why that book should be banned.

    I, like you, have been required to read many of those "banned" books in both middle and high school. Take "Catcher in the Rye" for example, I read it for my 11th grade AP English class - and it seems to be quite the controversial book for some. It's strange though, because my mom had to read that book when she was in high school... I would think that these people who protest these books would have became more lenient as time passed, but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth I would have to agree with your post. I was very confused and shocked when I seen the list of banned books. As you stated I was required to read majority of the books on this list during my school years as well. I really do not understand why these books are on the banned list. All of these books have been said to be controversial but if you look hard enough all books are somewhat controversial or can be interpreted as such depending n the reader. I believe books should not be able to be banned. I feel that if a book is useful and can teach lesson then it should be acceptable to have in a school know matter what. I feel that children should be able to be exposed to all kinds of books even if some people find them offensive. Some times books such as huckleberry fin are added to the list because of the language. I feel that kids should be exposed to this and just taught that certain things that were happening in olden days happened but that doesn’t mean it was acceptable. Everything can be turned into a teachable moment and should be used as such instead of being shielded or covered up.

    ReplyDelete