Monday, October 3, 2011

Imagination Sensation

"Once upon a time..." was the beginning to all of my stories I told a little girl I babysat. I have known her for a few years now, she is 5 years old. Every night at bedtime, we would all read a story with the 3 year old younger sister. She would get all excited and pick out which book she wanted to read, usually Barbie or a Disney Princess book. I would read the book, and she would sit there, watching me turn the pages, and her face lit up at the pictures. She loved to have stories read to her! Once she went to bed, it was the 5 year old's turn. Her mother always had a specific book for me to read to her. Some of the ones we read were the "Ramona" series, the "Magic Tree House" series, and the "Fairy" series. Note that these were all chapter books, and had no pictures. I would begin to read, and she would run around the room, and jump on her bed. She wanted nothing to do with the books I was reading. After I finished a chapter, it was time for made-up stories. Now she got into bed all excited! This was her favorite part of the night, I would tell a story about princesses, and finding magic treasure. Then she would tell one back to me. I noticed that she would much rather use her imagination than read the literature her mom provided. I do not think she gets to tell made-up stories with her parents, so she cherished this time.

Now after reading guidelines for good children's books, I do not think that the books I was reading to her were age appropriate. She couldn't relate to them or the story, and there was not any pictures. I think that we are trying to push higher literature onto children who are not able to handle it yet. Children should be able to pick out their own stories based on their likes and dislikes. They just want to have silly stories, and use their imagination. So lets let kids be kids, and run wild and free (not at bedtime), and use their imagination.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your blog post. I believe that children should be able to read what they want to read at bed time. This is their time to get ready to go to bed and nothing beats a good bed time story. How else are you supposed to get a child interested in reading if you're reading them stories at night that they dislike? However, I do believe that parents and teachers should have a role in helping a child chose what they should read. I think that children need to have some standards on what they should read; they can pick out stories based on their likes and dislikes but it should be up to their reading level. I think that reading allows students to enhance their learning ability and their reading level and reading picture books and a very low reading level may not help them as much as reading a chapter book at the reading level they should be reading at. I think that kids should be chose what they read but their should be some limitations. Buying books that fit that childs reading level is a perfect way to do this. Let them pick out some books that they enjoy at a level that suits them. However, I believe that bedtime stories should be a book of their choice and they should read what they want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is awesome that you had this time with the child where she was able to tell you a story and she used her imagination. It is such a great way to encourage an emerging reader's creativity and excitement for reading and writing.
    I agree that students should be able to choose their own books. If students are not going to be engaged in a story, there is not much point to reading it if the story is supposed to be for fun. But I do think that parents and teachers should be pushing children in their reading. Reading is such a necessary skill to succeed in school. Sometimes it is needed for parents and teachers to ask a child to read a book that is beyond their level. It can help push them to become stronger readers. Also, students need to be exposed to all types of literature, not just fantasy, but maybe historical fiction, or maybe even non-fiction. Students will be exposed to different types of literature in school, so it is helpful if they are exposed before they encounter them at home first. So while I agree that students should pick out their literature, but teachers and parents need to push the child as well, and encourage them to read different types of literature.

    ReplyDelete