Monday, October 10, 2011

My experience of 'Reading to Them'

I grew up with my aunt reading me the Berenstain Bear books. In A Family of Readers from pages 3-21, it talks about how it's important for parents to read aloud to their children, but to include them in the story telling process by letting them flip the pages, etc. I completely agree that this is important because I would sit in my aunt's lap, flip the pages of the book, and eventually would memorize the whole story. This taught me simple things at a young age, such as reading from left to right. Memorizing the whole story let me learn how to read some simple words before attending school. I would even memorize when to flip the pages by looking at the illustrations. From my experience, I think the concept 'Reading to Them' is extremely important for children to get interested in reading at a young age and learning the basic concepts of it.

However, my first grade teacher would read to us in class. We would all get into a circle and listen to the story. She would show us the pictures, but, for me, this was less effective than just reading with my aunt. I would zone out a lot during story time since I didn't feel as important in the reading process. I would still listen to the story as best I could since I did have the experience of flipping the page myself and memorizing the story, but I know a lot of my classmates did not enjoy reading at all. Looking back, one theory I have is that maybe they were never read to before. I grew up loving to read and I think a lot had to do with my aunt taking part in reading to me as a child.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that there is nothing better than sitting in a loved one's lap and reading a story with them. But there is a lot to gain from having a story read to you in class as well. It sounds like when you were in school, that you were not being engaged in the reading. This is unfortunate , because it means the teacher was not using this as a teachable moment. In TE 301, we are taught to do an Interactive Read Aloud. Basically, engaging the listeners into the story. Part of our job as future teachers is to check for comprehension. See how the students are understanding the story. Also, you can engage the students in a conversation about the illustrations and have them use it to infer as to what is happening next or to see how the characters are feeling or what they are thinking. Reading a story to a student is an important part of the learning process because it helps to teach them strategies to be more engaged in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the interaction between a child and the book is very important. As one of the kids that didn't really enjoy reading, the times where my nannies or parents would sit and read with me were the most important time to my literary development. I think that when teachers do read alouds, kids don't pick up on all the literary clues and the new words that they may have learned if they had read one on one with an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the reader is able to make you love a book. I think the tone of the voice that is reading to you also has a big influence on how much you will enjoy the book. When I was read books by my teacher in 1st grade, I loved the way she would read them and use a very dramatic voice for each characters. But, whenever we would have a substitute, she would read the book with no emotion. I became bored with the book and tuned her out. When you read a book, you are able to make the words sound any way in your head. You can almost picture the story as you are reading it silently. Young children need to hear the tone of the reader in order to learn how a book should be read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that having children read with you is very important for their developmental process. By having a child physically sit in front of the book and follow along as it is read gives the child a deeper exposure to reading. They are able to see the illustration and watch the words, where they will eventually recognize the words and learn them. I also believe it is important for the reader to use their finger to follow along as they read the words. This will help the child recognize the word spelling when it is pronounced. They may not understand it at the time but constant repetition will help them pick up on it sooner and help them along in their developmental process.

    ReplyDelete