Friday, October 14, 2011

A Blog In The Park

When I first heard we had to blog every week for this class, I have to say I was a little bit less than enthused about it. I know Todd explained the benefits and reasoning behind it, but I was still skeptical of the purpose and benefits I would feel. Often times teachers seem to have good ideas and be really excited about things but then it doesn't translate as well to the students. I thought this was going to be the case until I actually participated. Using this blog (once I figured out how to set it up and get it) was so easy and I was able to read many posts put up by other classmates. I enjoyed reading what they had to say on current event issues, classroom readings, and teacher-related topics. I thought I would just log in, make a quick post and move on with my homework but some of the titles really caught my attention and I found myself reading multiple posts. I see the benefits in having students participate in blogging and think that even down in the elementary level it could be extremely productive to have kids use them.

I went back to my elementary school this past year to shadow one of my teachers and help out in his classroom. When I was walking through the hallway I saw the kindergarten room full of kids on computers. We did not have computers until I was in 4th grade so it just caught me off guard to see a classroom like that when they were so young. I know that kids today know how to use computers so early in life. My 6-year-old cousin can find anything on youtube or blank coloring pages in an instant. There are so many productive things that kids can do on computers and I think that blogging is definitely one of them. Even as young as elementary school kids, I know the maturity level is not there as it is with older grades, but as far as participation and getting them to think through lessons and communicate with one another about information or questions that blogs could be so helpful in continuing the classroom discussion. It could spur on class discussion from something they read the night before, or it could help clear up questions that may have arisen during their homework.

The benefits of critical thinking and extending the classroom discussion are the main benefits I find in blogs. People can say things you never may have considered and cause you to read more or research further. As college aged students are using these more in their classrooms, I think we can utilize the benefits and test them out in our own classrooms one day so that they are full of excited and thought provoking discussions during school hours and beyond.

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! I've never thought of having younger students involved in a class blog, but you're right--why not?? You're absolutely right that kids are becoming computer-proficient at younger and younger ages, and blogging is one way to make school more relevant to students. It can engage students who enjoy using computers outside of class, and it spreads technology competence skills to students who might not be as good with computers and the Internet. Also, students love seeing themselves in print; a blog would be something younger students could get excited about and show their families. Since it'd be public, they may even take a little more care and pride in their work. All in all, I think this is a great idea that both teachers and students can be excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was extremely easy to relate to. I've never been a fan of blogging, but now I see that it is a wonderful way to open up people's minds to different points of view. Going through and reading other people's blogs has let me see viewpoints that are different and/or similar to my own and I enjoy seeing what other people's takes on things are.

    Another aspect of this post I like is the idea of younger children blogging in class. I think this could be a very good way to elaborate on class topics and help the students understand what is going on. I also am a firm believer that if you start a child off doing something at a young age, they will be conditioned to continue with it throughout their life. So if you start a child blogging early, they will most likely continue it later in life and will benefit from it greatly.

    ReplyDelete