Monday, October 31, 2011

What does style have to do with it?

After reading The Book Thief, I realized how important the style of writing is. Whenever I read books I always look for books that will keep me interested. An obvious factor to my interest is the content of the novel. Everyone wants to read novels that are about things they are interested in, but that isn't always the case. For school, you rarely read books that are of your personal interest. This year I have had to read many different types of novels for my classes. Most of these novels are very dry and contain very boring content. I have realized that if the style of the reader is unique or interesting it makes the novel easier to read. The style of writing can make a book a fast read, or it can be very dense and make the book seem like it never ends. For my IAH class I had to read a book called Madame Bovary which was very slow. The content of the book wasn't awful, but the book was very slow and far too descriptive. It took me a long time to finish the book because the reading was so dense and dry that I would have to reread a lot of the important parts. I also had to read a book called The Picture Of Dorian Gray. On the other hand, this book was a quick read and was written so that the reader could easily understand the story. I wasn't necessarily interested in the story itself, but the fact that I was able to read the book and understand it made me want to keep reading. I didn't realize how important style was in a book until I read The Book Thief. This book is completely different than most books. The book is over 500 pages and looks to be very intimidating. But, once I started reading I realized that the book was an easy read. The content was interesting, but so was the style. I liked the layout of the pages, and how the words were. I was able to read the pages fast, and I ended up reading the book two times faster than I thought I could. The style was unique, and kept me turning the pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment