Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Love for my girl Judy Blume

Growing up, I was the biggest fan of any and all of the Judy Blume books. It seemed as if her personal library was never-ending; I always found a different book written by her in my town's library whenever I went.

She had a book for me at all stages of my life - mid elementary (when I first started to become an avid reader), middle school, and high school. Her books expressed things that I was going through - she put into words the awkwardness of growing up, and the strangeness/excitement of getting older. I really blame and thank Ms. Blume for helping me find a passion in reading.

And the cool thing is - the majority of her books were written in the 1970s. And I was reading them (and loving them) in the 2000s. I think that is a tremendous feat as an author to produce such timeless books that remain relevant through the ages.

As a future teacher, I hope to introduce books like hers to my students. Maybe not her books exactly, but definitely books that will instill a love of reading in my students.

Did anyone else read any of Judy Blume's books growing up? Do we have a similar author today that has written a plethora of novels like hers?

2 comments:

  1. The point about Blume's books being written in the 1970s, but still popular today, was interesting. I feel like if a book is able to reach across generations and have the same profound effect on its readers now as it did when it was first published, then it has done its job very well.
    In response to your question of whether there are authors today that we might compare to Judy Blume, I would say there definitely are. Authors like Sarah Dessen, for example, tackle similar issues that girls experience growing up- death in the family, first loves, moving, social acceptance- and acts as a sort of tool to learn how to deal with these things. It also shows girls that they are not the only ones going through this. They form a connection with the character(s) that have experienced the same thing they are, and in turn, are more able to cope with the changes or issues life throws at them. At least, this is how I personally felt while reading books like this as a young teenager, and I feel I was not the only one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Judy Blume! My mom was the first to introduce me her, at a very young age and I have loved her ever since. She made me love reading when I was younger. I could never put her books down. She helped me go through many stages of my life. An author that I have fallen in love with is Jodi Picoult,she is another author that when I start reading down!g her book I simply cannot put

    ReplyDelete