Thursday, October 20, 2011

Marketing to Children


I am very interested on how publishing companies are marketing their books to children. I was looking online for different ways and outlets that they used. Almost every article I could find, in summery, said the best way to market books to kids is through the school. Even though this is very valid because in schools teachers are talking to children about different books, I still see many other opportunities that publishing companies are missing out on.

Children spend on average 7 hours in schools a day and are influenced solely on what their teacher preaches. But when they are home they are expose to so many more outlets that are teaching them. One is the Internet. Many children go online and play educational games and use social networking sites. These sites should start to market new books that are available based on what the child is looking at. If a child is playing a racing game, then the site could advertise a book on NASCAR or a book based on the movie Cars. These kind of tactics would be able to specifically reach children based on topics they already interested in.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a GREAT idea. Publishers should definitely find different ways to advertise books to students and I believe the internet should be one of them. I think students would become more interested in books if every time they played a game on the computer a book relating to that particular came popped up. I also think it should be more commercials that advertise reading. Another idea is for toy companies to place an ad on the package of the toy that shows books related to whatever the toy might be. If books were advertised in more unique ways I think more children would be interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete