Monday, October 17, 2011

How to love reading?

One of the most important skills that a child needs to develop as they grow up is the ability to comprehend what they are reading. I know first hand how frustrating it is to read a book and not understand what you are reading. When I was in elementary I would hate anything that had to do with reading because I had such a hard time understanding whatever I was reading, whether it was a book or even instructions for a science experiment. To this day I still hate reading because I was scarred as a child and because I still have trouble comprehending.

I think that if children have trouble comprehending at young age their parents and teachers should read books that they like to them. This way they can enjoy reading and then as their comprehension gets better they will eventually be able to enjoy reading. If a child is showing no interest in reading then the teacher should introduce many different types of literature, not only different genres but also some picture books, chapter books and even poetry. As the adult is reading they should pose questions to the child to make sure they understand the story to keep their interest.

Hopefully the child will enjoy the books when they are read to him/her and then they will be able to enjoy reading on their own later in life.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree that learning and loving to read at an early age is something every kid should develop. It is a bit easier when we were really young to enjoy it, but as we get older we have to analyze so much it gets overwhelming. The analyzing would be extremely difficult if you did not comprehend the book so I completely agree that teachers/ parents should pose questions along the way because they never really know what is going on inside a kid's head even if they are nodding along with the story. With kids that do not seem to like any book I also think that parents/teachers should continue to seek out books for that child and find something s/he can enjoy because I absolutely believe that everyone can enjoy reading, it is just a matter of finding the right story.

    ReplyDelete