Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Book Thief

The Book Thief was the perfect book for me to read. I've always been interested in learning about WWII and the Holocaust since I was a little girl. When I was 7 years old I went to Amsterdam with my family. We actually went to the Anne Frank museum and I saw the area behind the bookshelf where they walked up the stairs and hid. My dad also bought me the Anne Frank diary and for the rest of our vacation he would read some of it to my cousin and me. Yeah, I know that may not be the most pleasant thing to read before bed, but I also didn't fully understand what the diary was about. All I knew was that a young girl wrote and I actually bought my first diary in Amsterdam to create my own "book".

Because I've been interested in learning about WWII since then, I knew I would like The Book Thief. I thought it was really interesting to hear it from a German's point of view who didn't agree with the Nazis. I never heard the story from this type of view so I thought The Book Thief was a very well written historical fiction, but still entertaining to read without having it be a textbook of facts. I think it's a great way to start a WWII lesson within the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I too really enjoyed this book. I thought from the choice of narrator to the perspective of the characters taken to the plot, it was an interesting and exciting read. I have enjoyed history as I have gotten older but really did not care for it when I was in elementary school all the way up until mid-high school. I found it dry, dull, boring, whatever adjective you want to use along those lines. I never really felt like I related to any of the people and there were so many dates and places that I just couldn't keep straight. If my teachers had paired a historical fiction book with our lessons, like The Book Thief during WWII unit, I think it would definitely have sparked my interest a lot more. I too thought this book included some great details and examples of what the time was really like without being overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you all! I LOVED this book. I have never read a historical fiction novel or book that I was interested in. However, as I read this novel at first I felt that this book was dry and hard to get through. As I forced myself to read on I soon became interested and sucked into Nazi, Germany in the 1940's. I couldn't put the book down.

    I found it SO ironic that Death is the narrator in the time of the Holocaust. A time that is so depressing and you may think that voice of death would make this novel more depressing and sad but it adds to the affect. The twist that the narration gives to the story is one I have never experienced before and that gave me the excitement to want to read more books like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really liked the booth thief! This is a perfect book to have a high school English class read while learning about World War II because for most of the the unit they will be learning about from the victims stand point but this book is from the opposite side. Also having Death as the narrator puts a twist on the book which will strike up great discussion in the English classroom. When I was in high school I was in a program called Global Communities and our History and English units would always be intertwined. If I ever teach in a high school I want to promote a program like that and this is a great example of a lesson the two classes could do.

    ReplyDelete