Monday, November 28, 2011

Maus not Mouse?

When we were fist assigned to read this story I didn't think much of it, until I learned it was a graphic novel. Graphic novel have never really been a genre that I have explored much and didn't quite excite me. So as I proceeded to get the book and I was shocked by the first impression. The large swastika on the front and the way the mice, whom are slightly scary looking, are positioned turned me away. It gave me an impression that this was going to be another one of those disturbing Holocaust stories, which by now after years of schooling I have heard enough of. As I began to read I was surprised how much I enjoyed it The stories about his father, and how his life with his sweetheart played out, was more like a love story than a disturbing one. True that it was a disturbing time, and things happened that I cringed at, but I also think that by portraying the characters as mice, lessened the cruel effect. If people had been drawn then it would have been morbid. All in all, I enjoyed this and recommend it to those who are reluctant about graphic novels, it has history and humor.

1 comment:

  1. I also have never been a fan of graphic novels but at the same time, I had never read a graphic novel like Maus. I enjoyed how the Jews were illustrated as mice, Nazis as cats, and Poles as pigs not only because it lessened the gruesomeness of the time but also because it offered a lot of symbolism. The traditional cat-and-mouse game is evident when the Jews are hiding from the Nazis. It also does a good job at showing how important appearances were. When going out to find food or move from place to place, the mice put on pig masks. On page 136, it is said that Anja is more Jewish looking and thus she is illustrated wearing a pig mask but also having a mouse tail. I thought this was ingenious.

    ReplyDelete