Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Same O' Same O'


Alright we all have read a 100 holocaust stories and no matter what I feel like each one is the exact same. Don't get me wrong, I am very interest is WWII and enjoy learning about it, but would love to see a new side of the stories told. Maus was the same as every story I have heard before so it was disappointing to read since I already knew what every twist and turn was going to be.

The book did make me think back to grade school when during the Holocaust unit we were asked to make a visual of what encompassed our feelings. Many students did collages and paintings to express their emotions. I loved these projects where we were allowed to be creative and I took this to an extreme. I made a mini Jewish Ghetto complete with clay figurines and cardboard painted to look like town homes. My father and I worked so hard painting everything trying to get it as realistic as possible.

The book Maus made me think of this school project because of the connection with fathers. Since the project was done by my father and I, I ended up drawing a more personal connection to the story. So even thought I greatly disliked Maus, it still brought up a great memory of mine making the drab story more easy to get through.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this book is just like any other holocaust book and the only reason I did make it through is because it was a graphic novel. Making this a graphic novel made it more interesting to me and allowed me to get through it without thinking it was like every other book.Another thing that made this different from the rest is it wasn't just hiding, it was someone on the move and pretending to be someone else. Otherwise I did not like the book.

    ReplyDelete