Friday, November 25, 2011

How many times can they really read the book?

Whenever I am home I always babysit the same kids. I noticed that these kids along with most other love to read their favorite books over and over again. As an adult very rarely do we read the same book or even watch the same movie repeatedly. Do children like to read their favorite book over and over again so they can memorize the words and then read it themselves? A lot of the time children will pick books that have good illustrations and that they can read. When I was reading their favorite book to them on some pages that would ask if they could read it. Obviously they must enjoy the book to some extent to read it over and over again but after awhile they like to read it so they can read it on their own. I also notice that often times children like to pick books based on their religion or race so they can relate to the book. This also roots back to when they read the book on their own they are reading about themselves which makes them feel grownup.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana! Interesting post. First, I do agree that some children do like to re-read books at a young age to learn the story and sequence of words, in that learning how to read! Additionally, I also agree that young children in particular are very interested in certain stories and illustrations according to their interests. If they can find a book that really makes them happy or makes them laugh or has some awesome pictures, then yes it is going to be one you'll have to read over and over when you babysit.

    However, I have a question, why do children near the middle school age begin to commonly lose interest in school subjects? For example, children in mathematics use more calculators and begin to hate solving math problems in creative ways for themselves. Similarly, many students lose the excitement in reading, as displayed by not reading the same novels over and over. I'm interested in teaching middle school science, and therefore I am constantly mulling over why this disconnection of motivation and learning occurs during middle school. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana I agree with your post! I babysit quite a bit as well. All of the children I babysit also enjoy reading the same books over ad over again. I believe that children do enjoy reading their favorites repeatedly so they can show you they can read it or that they are familiar with it. Also I believe that children like to read their favorites because they already know what is going to happen and children from my experience like people to know they have familiarity with books or movies whatever the outlet is.

    Also illustrations and scenes out of the book that make the child happy or excited make them very interested and this is also a reason why children like the same books to be read to them over and over. Children also memorize books sometimes in their process to reading and like for you to think they are indeed reading when they are clearly reciting. I also can agree that it is pretty weird that younger children enjoy the same books but the older you get the less likely you are to read the same books more than once.

    This was a very interesting post to add because that is a good question and thought about children and reading the same books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that children like to read the same stories over and over again so they can memorize it and read it by themselves. On the other hand, I think some children like to read the same books because they simply enjoy it and are really interested in the book. I have read the same books more than once and enjoyed it every time.

    Lauren, I think you asked a great question. I agree that students near middle school lose interest in school subjects. Although I don't have an answer to your question I think this is a huge problem. Maybe if the subjects were presented in an interesting way such as with experiments or projects, students will be more interested.

    ReplyDelete