Tuesday, November 1, 2011

It's True, I Cried

The Book Thief is an amazing book that allows the reader to become attached to the characters. Early in the story, the narrator, Death, tells how it all ends. When reading the ending of the story at the beginning, I did not have the emotional attachment to the characters as I did at the end of the book.
While reading the last 50 pages, I was getting emotional. Knowing that the setting of the book is in Germany during World War II, one would think I would have been prepared for a sad ending. With 20 pages left in the book when Rudy died, I lost it. I never became emotional while reading a book, but I have to admit that this book made me cry. It may be because I have experienced the death of a loved one, so I remember how it feels.
As Liesel went through that, my heart was broken. It mended a little at the end when Max survives and comes to find her. All in all, this book has become one of my favorites. After reading many reviews, I found that many people did not like how Death interrupted the story to add details. I found that quite helpful to expand my understanding of the characters and what was happening. What did you think about the narration? Did you also become emotional while reading this? If so, why?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not much of a crier, but if I was, I probably would have cried. If that makes sense. This book was very powerful, and emotionally draining at times. Most things that have to do with death are though, however.

    I find it a bit surprising that the reviews you read had a more negative stance on Death being the narrator. I thought that Death as the narrator was a great touch and obviously very unique. Maybe people didn't respond well to this however because it was so different. People like "normal-ness" or things that follow the norm. And this book, well, it did not.

    ReplyDelete