Monday, November 28, 2011

Holocaust, a picture book

After reading Maus by Art Spiegelman, I had a better understanding about what the Holocaust was and how it truly effected people's lives. The first hand account helped me to better understand what the word Holocaust means, and help me to see the events and history behind it. When getting ready to write this blog post I was wondering how teachers can expose their students to the Holocaust. I have learned so much through books, so I immediately thought of books as a means through which teachers could introduce the Holocaust to their students.

I did some research and I found a blog titled "Teach with Picture Books" by Keith Schoch. One of his posts is titled "Holocaust Picture Books" and responds to the question many teachers have: "How can picture books address a serious topic such as the Holocaust, an historic event filled with equal parts tragedy and heroism, horror and courage? Don't picture books denigrate and disrespect the memories of those who perished and those who survived?" He challenges these teachers to examine the following picture books:

Each of these picture books provide a concise, emotionally powerful account of the Holocaust through human stories that dignify and honor all who were involved. Teaching tragic historic events can be difficult, but bringing in literature can open the door to a whole new realm of learning. I know that one day in my classroom, a good book will be at the heart of every lesson.

1 comment:

  1. I loved Maus and these books sound really interesting. I never knew that there were more picture books about the Holocaust. I did find one about 9/11 which would be a really interesting way to integrate that lesson in a classroom for all ages. I'm sure that there are plenty more graphic novels on topics like this too.

    ReplyDelete