Sunday, November 20, 2011

Reading Aloud = Teacher Love

Chapter 13 from The Joy of Children’s Literature by Denise Johnson talked a lot about reading aloud in the classroom. I was surprised how much the chapter discussed how reading aloud has so many benefits and how amazing reading aloud can be for both the students and teacher. I didn’t really think about this topic very much, but after reading the chapter I realized that everything they were saying made complete sense!


My favorite teacher of all time was my fourth grade teacher. I still talk about her to this day and will never forget her or how much fun she made my school year. After reading this chapter, I began to think about her and realized she read aloud in our classroom on a daily basis. I clearly remember her reading The BFG, a Santa Clause book, and other informational articles regularly. Usually we would sit on the floor around her, and maybe these daily read alouds contributed to me enjoying my teacher so much.


The first page of this chapter even says, “Reading aloud has made countless children throughout time fall in love with a teacher who did it well and did it often. And these teachers are never forgotten.” I think this quote describes my fourth grade experience perfectly and I have to wonder now if this had anything to do with my adoration for my fourth grade teacher.

4 comments:

  1. I think that reading to students is incredibly fundamental for a successful classroom. Students can connect with their teachers so much more when they're on the ground on a carpet square, animatedly reading, feeling the same emotions for the same characters as their students. Not only does reading aloud help students' ability to comprehend and love literature, it also develops a bond between a teacher and a student that is incredibly important to have. LIke you said, your fourth grade teacher was one of your favorites. I think that every teacher should strive to build and create a relationship with his or her students that will provide a unique and powerful learning environment. This can be done through simply reading aloud to your students, sitting on a carpet square right next to them, and enjoying the experience of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also believe reading aloud to your students is a key aspect to develop their love for reading. Reading aloud is a great way to connect with your students, you can engage them in the story and open up their imagination. Enthusiasm while reading can change the story entirely. If you read it in a dull monotonous voice, your students will not be engaged and will eventually find no joy in reading. On the other hand, you can open up their mind to reading and encourage them to love it. Growing up i was never really read to, if I was there were no experiences that attached me to reading. I have never enjoyed reading and now as a college student I still do not enjoy reading. With how much we talk about the importance of reading aloud to students, I wish growing up I had a different experience. I believe my perspective on reading would be different and I would actually enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also really surprised when I opened up to chapter 13 to see it was entirely devoted to reading aloud. I wondered why a textbook would need a whole chapter about this instead of just a paragraph or even a line. After reading the chapter, though, and seeing this post, I agree that reading aloud has so many benefits. As a future secondary English teacher, I'm ashamed to say it's not something I've thought about using in my classroom before, because it's something I thought would be better off in elementary classrooms. But now I'm thinking, what if I devoted 10-15 minutes each day, or one day a week, to incorporate reading aloud to my students? Perhaps this is what they need to fall in love with reading, to get caught up in a story, or to enjoy school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite teachers was Mrs. Wasvary, my first grade teacher. I distinctly remember her taking time out of each school day, gathering us all on the carpet in the front of the room, and reading to us. One of my favorite books that she read was "Naya Nuki" by Kenneth Thomasma. It was a pretty long chapter book, something that first graders probably couldn't read on their own. We were all so excited for her to read a chapter each day. She made the book exciting, so exciting in fact that I bought the book years later and have re-read it multiple times. I credit Mrs. Wasvary for sparking my interest in reading and not underestimating the abilities that first graders have to understand difficult books. I think her reading aloud made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete