Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Dora the Explorer!

I have to admit, I was watching Nick Junior on my television one day after a long morning of classes and Dora the Explorer was on. Pretty embarrassing! Eventually, it got me thinking about ELL students and literacy. What do you think of her duel-language use of English and Spanish? What does this mean for English speaking students? What does this mean for Spanish speaking students? Additionally, do you think her Spanish heritage is properly portrayed in the show and in books?

In my opinion, I think that having successful main characters of color on prominent kid's television shows and literature is a very powerful thing for all types of students. However, besides her cousin Diego and the old-school Little Bill (by Bill Cosby), I am not aware of any other diverse characters on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network. Do you know of any?

Check out these Dora clips and tell me your opinion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhfDpCHeZ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6WUPdqhATg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGBf0EeDlTc

4 comments:

  1. I think that shows like this and books are great for children. Not only children that aren't of english decent but also children who only speak english. I have heard my four year old cousin speaking a little spanish. When asking where she learned it she replied TV!!!! Of all places.

    Not only is the TV teaching kids new languages but books can too. If children were more into books than they were with TV they would learn a lot more I think. Reading is so enhancing and personable a child could not only imagine what they are reading but they would be able to create a world of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it's really important to represent children of diverse identities in kids' TV shows and books. But, I think it needs to be more than just tokenism or "lip service" to valuing diversity. If kids are actually going to gain respect for people with differences, they need to be exposed to real differences, not just surface differences. That is, they shouldn't just know that it's OK to have friends of different of different races, they should also begin to be aware of what those differences represent--different values, worldviews, ways of life. I think Dora definitely does this to an extent (she uses her own language, and they discuss Mexican traditions like quinceneras, for example) and that there should be more TV shows like it that not only show superficial diversity, but deeper diversity as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think "Dora the Explorer" is a good television show for children. I think being exposed to a second language at a young age is important for children. I know for me personally I started learning Spanish in 4th grade. "Dora the Explorer" is a good way to start learning a second language and for children to be aware there are other languages and cultures out there to learn. There are not many cartoon characters on television that are of color, so I think "Dora the Explorer" is a good one to show children. I do think that Dora does exemplify Mexican culture well. She uses her native language and talks about things from the Mexican culture. "Dora the Explorer" has also been made into books, which I think are great to be read to children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Dora the Explorer" offers diversity that most shows don't offer. Yes, Dora's Spanish phrases are short and simple, but at least children watching are getting a taste of another culture.

    I cannot think of any other children shows that offer diversity off the top of my head, besides Dora and Little Bill. Maybe because when I was growing up there weren't any. Dora and Little Bill are (relatively) new to the children show line up, but I think it is very important that they are there because they offer diversity that needs to be present. The more we introduce children too ALL kinds of people when they are younger, the more tolerant they will be when they are older.

    ReplyDelete