Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Maus

Before TE 348, I had heard a lot about Art Spiegleman and Maus from many of my previous courses, and although I knew the story and the medium it was portrayed in, I was relatively unprepared for how much I would really enjoy it. Vladek's story is one that many people of my generation have heard, but Spiegleman's telling of the story through comics is really what sets the tale apart and made it such a success. I recall at one point in the story, Mala, Vladek's wife, expresses how important the story will be, saying "people who don’t usually read such stories will be interested, " in reference Spiegleman's comic book audience. Spiegleman's presentation of the story in a comic book format makes it relatable and enjoyable for younger readers or readers who may not be as inclined to read a novel written in prose. I feel that in order to express the depth and multifacted aspects of characters could not be told in a way other than comic format. By expressing Maus through a visual format, Spiegleman gives audience members an opportunity to connect with his father's story by presenting emotions visually to readers.

As a future special education teacher, many of my students may have reading difficulties or even a dislike for reading by the time they reach my classroom. The comic format of Maus may serve as a reading aid for many students who may be uninterested or may have difficulty reading a novel written in prose.
I feel that Maus would be a great addition to a literature or history lesson in middle school or highschool, and it is a book I plan on incorporating into my own classroom if it is applicable and appropriate for the age group.

No comments:

Post a Comment