Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Who is Diverse?

When we talked today about stereotypes and how the only people who acknowledge differences or consider what they are is when they are not the dominant group. I thought this was very interesting because I really had not thought about it all that much before because as a white female, I do not often feel out of the dominant group. I was at a conference this weekend and the lady speaking asked anyone who thought they were diverse to stand up. It took me a minute, but then I stood up as did most everyone else in the room. The ones who did not stand were also Caucasian. I thought this was so interesting because I did hesitate at first but for me to hesitate and for others to not stand at all not only shows our lack of appreciation for ourselves but also the superiority white people often feel in this country. We are all diverse and this goes far beyond race, even though that is what is the easiest thing to see.

We all also have stereotypes not only of others but of our own group too. How much does it affect you when you hear a bad stereotype about your group and you think "that is not me at all, there are so many people in my group that are not like that." Stereotypes are one of those subjects that often gets put on the list of "Do not talk about" and it is unfortunate because unless we are able to talk about them and realize our mindset shortcomings, we will never be able to grow past them and become a more unified human race.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much pride in our University for challenging the student-body's past assumptions of themselves and others in reference to identity. This process definitely occurred for me during Freshman year here. And although I've always attended diverse public schools, I never pushed myself out of my comfort zone (before college) to interact with others different from myself whether it was religion or ethnicity etc. Now as a junior at MSU, it is a goal I am constantly striving for in order to become a more successful future educator in the state of Michigan.

    Children's literature is a great gateway towards facilitating positive yet controversial conversations about these topics. Teaching students to be critical of what they're reading is a skill that I value strongly. By showing good and poor examples of identity in literature to children at a young age, educators can help combat closed-mindedness and ignorance. This is an important exercise for all students. Some books have stereotyped illustrations and roles for certain groups, while other completely ignore the fact of diversity in their plot/characters/setting. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true! People think that being diverse is having a different cultural background and a different ethnicity. But I agree that we are all diverse in our own ways. While I too am Caucasian, I would consider myself Diverse for a few reasons. I have a very different background of ancestors and who I am makes me diverse.

    I consider myself a Christian. When most people hear the word Christian they think of all the stereotypes that they know or have heard. People judge me before getting to know me because they have pre judgments of who I am. But how are they ever going to know if those judgments are true of Christians or of me if they don’t take the time to get to know me?

    I feel that too often that’s how it is with myself and books. We hear that they are so good so we all read them. Or from the cover it doesn’t look like or sound like an interesting book so we just don’t read it. My advice for myself and those who listen to stereotypes and make prejudgments about people or things is get to know that person first and read that book.

    Let each person be diverse in their own way without criticizing them. Because truth is, if we were all the same this world would suck. And remember; don’t judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete