Sunday, November 20, 2011

Breaking Dawn: Part 2 - Necessary?

After our class discussion about our thoughts on turning books into movies, I went to see the new Twilight movie “Breaking Dawn - Part 1”. I read the first book many years ago but lost interest and never ended up reading the next three books. I have seen the other three movies, of course, and have kept up on all the “Jacob vs. Edward” drama as well. I wouldn’t call myself a fan of this series, but after seeing this newest movie I am tempted to read the “Breaking Dawn” book just so I can know what happens during the second half!


I understand that the book is long so it may be necessary to split the movie into two, like they did with the last Harry Potter movie also, but how can we know for sure that it is not the entertainment world trying to make more money. By splitting this movie into two parts, they will be making twice as much money. People of all ages who saw the first movie will now feel obligated to see the second movie. I know that I feel like I have to see the second movie now in order to see what happens, and maybe even now read the book because it is going to take a long time for the movie to come out!


4 comments:

  1. I went to see the Breaking Dawn trailer as well, and since it left off at such a cliff hanger, I want to read it to know what happens! I was also contemplating as well if this was plotted by the entertainment world to make more money. It is a long book, so I hope that is the reason that they split the movies, and not just to make money. Sometimes Hollywood tends to forget the reason that the movie is here today, its from the literary works of an author who came up with the idea. So they should respect the authors works, and make it as accurate as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think making a second movie is absolutely necessary. Even with an entire movie just covering the first half several details were left out that left me unsatisfied. I can't imagine what it would be like if they crammed they entire book into one movie....

    This is the main issue of making books into films - viewers loose many details that readers get from the books. Quite honestly, I think I might have been lost watching Breaking Dawn Pt 1 because I don't think they covered enough of the important details. I'm also skeptical of the upcoming and well-anticipated Hunger Games movie. There are so many things that occur only in Katniss's mind that it will be nearly impossible to include all of these details unless they decide to narrate it.

    I don't think making Breaking Dawn two movies was entirely a ploy for extra cash (even though I'm sure that was part of the reason); I think it was cinematically and authorially responsible of Stephanie Meyers and the director. Cramming that much cinematic content into one film would be overwhelming and, at the same, entirely underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read all the Twilight books so from my experience I can say it was definitely necessary to split Breaking Dawn into two parts. There is no way they could have thoroughly covered the whole story in just a single movie. I'm sure the entertainment industry was looking at this strictly from the view of making a profit, while the author wanted to split it into two parts to maintain the details of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are thousands of books that have been turned into movies and it is a very profit based business. I am a fan of the twilight movies but have never read the books and I this is the case for many of my friends as well. With the chaos of life and keeping up with school and work it seems like I don’t have time to read for enjoyment. Watching the movie is a way to get the entire meaning of a book in less than two hours time. It is sad but true that time is happening all over the world. People including myself are viewing reading as work instead of a way to relax. Because of this I see the disappointment people have when a movie is done in two parts. It does make you feel obligated to go back again to see the second movie. There is a large portion of society that does not take the time between the two movies to read the book. I guess my question here is how can we change this? How can we bring back reading for enjoyment and let children see the positive side to it?

    ReplyDelete